VEGETABLE POHA RECIPES:
Poha is a simple but hearty breakfast dish that originated in Northern India. Also known as aloo poha, it is made of pressed rice, potatoes, onions, and spices and is a quick and easy meal to whip up once you have all the ingredients.
Vegetable Poha (flattened rice) recipes: (makes ~3 cups)
- 1 tsp, vegetable oil
- 2-3 cups poha (flattened rice or thick and dry)
- 1 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 1-2 green chilies (chopped in small )
- 1 onion (small dice)
- 1 potato (small diced) Avoid boiling potatoes, which don’t retain their shape once cooked)
- 1/2 cup peanuts or cashews
- 3/4 teaspoon turmeric/haldi
- 4-5 curry leaves
- Salt to taste
- A pinch asafetida
- 1/2 cup fresh chopped cilantro for garnish
- Fresh lemon (to squeeze at the end)
- Soak the poha for 4-5 mins When the poha can be lightly mashed between your fingers, it is ready then drain in a colander.
- Heat oil in a pan. Add asafoetida, then mustard seeds until the crackle, usually after 25-30 seconds.
- Now you can move on to other ingredients add small diced onion and green chilies. Fry it
- In parallel, heat chop potatoes in microwave or another pan with some oil for ~2 minutes to partially cook them.
- Now add turmeric and curry leaves into the hot oil once onions are done.
- Add peanut, heated potatoes. Sauté until potatoes are done.
- add everything except the cilantro and lemon to the wok and stir together. Let them cook
- Add spices with a pinch of salt, turmeric, and curry powder.
- Add Poha and mix thoroughly. Cook for 3-4 minutes.
- Add lemon juice (or lime juice)
- Serve hot.